Jan 26, 2005

hike

When I was a kid I had a very active imagination. I was fascinated by fantasy and would make up wholly removed magical worlds in my head. Imagine pathways from this world into other dimensions, societies, and landscapes.
I think this is pretty normal for a kid. Heck,look at young adult reading material with it's wizards and transporting warddrobes, look at the super heroes that populate childrens programming. Nonetheless, I suspect I was a bit more fantasy focused than most...possibly the result of a father who gave me lots of science fiction reading material, possibly just by necessaity of being an only child needing distraction on road trips.

But ot be honest, this sense of whimsy, this need for a certain amount of magic and conjecture outside the bounds of currently accepted reality persisted into my adulthood.
I mean, don't get me wrong, I am not a wiccan and I am not one of those people who sees angels or faeries and I think all that stuff in the inquirer about goblins is full of shit. But still, sometimes, I am walking along and I see something that triggers this sense of wonderment, I see an image or hear a sound or have an experience that reminds me of all the secret pathways I once saw in every cave, closet or hole in the ground. And suddenly I feel a whole lot better about it all.

No comments: